Beth Emet
Shalom! Good to see you again!
Beth Emet
Shalom! Good to see you again!
Beth Emet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beth Emet

Searching for Truth with No Agenda

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Question needs answered?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
polonois

polonois

A Question needs answered? Empty
PostSubject: A Question needs answered?   A Question needs answered? EmptySat Nov 10, 2007 8:34 pm

What is the meaning of the word Selah? Research it before you answer.
Back to top Go down
MMkgc

MMkgc

PostSubject: selah   A Question needs answered? EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 1:05 pm

It has mostly been taught that this word, which appears mostly in the book of Psalms has something to do with the fact that these are psalms, or hymns to be sung on different occasions and thus represents a musical notation.
Quote :

Thirty-one of the thirty-nine
psalms with the caption "To the choir-master " include "Selah" so the musical context of selah is obvious.

I have however found that it seems to appear too frequently for that to be so. My understanding mostly then has been that this word means to stop and contemplate the words preceding it, to pause and take note.

However after doing a word study on this from the original Hebrew more is revealed. While on the right track with my understanding of stopping and contemplating, one can see from the root that it is a bit deeper.

It's a strange word, only three Hebrew letters, which can usually form many words, depending on what 'vowels' are attached.

Samech - The ancient sign signified a prop, and its meaning was to support of aid, assist

Lamed - Ancient sign for a crook, used by a shepherd, or a cattle goad, representing authority, control

Heh- Ancient sign for behold! or to reveal, depending on placement can also signify 'the'

So we have this three letter word

It is a root word and has been interpreted as meaning

1. to make light of, toss aside

1. (Qal) to make light of
    2. (Piel) to flout, reject

</li>
  2. to weigh, balance

1. (Pual) to be weighed
    </li>

Qal meaning the basic verbal usage. this is the simple meaning of the word

Piel puts more emphasis on the action

pual is the passive form of Piel, showing an intensive action using a passive 'voice'.

Now comparing this definition with the ancient letter meanings we see something coming to light.

Let's gather these together.

Supporting
authority ( shepherd)
Revealed

BTW , Strongs definition of this is
Quote :

1.to lift up, exalt

1. Selah

1. a technical musical term probably showing accentuation, pause, interruption
    </li>
From Hebrew for Christians
Selah
A Question needs answered? Selah10

(se-LAH) interj. Selah. Perhaps related to a shoresh (salah) meaning to lift up (as voices) before a pause. Occurs 71 times in the Psalms, three times in Habakkuk. From salah, "to lift up" (the voice). Selah
might have been a musical mark suggesting a forte of voices just before
a reflective instrumental interlude. Upon selah, the singers would
pause and only the instruments were heard.
Back to top Go down
MMkgc

MMkgc

PostSubject: Re: A Question needs answered?   A Question needs answered? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 pm

There seems to be a few that think it might mean, or be related to stone. Now since we were talking about lively stones on Shabbat I am going to go out on a limb and consider this more.

I am going to take the specific Psalms that contain this and see if I can't find a pattern. Also in the other prophetic books.

I will try and jive this with Petra, or Kefa in the BC.

I'll let you know what I come up with. Smile
Back to top Go down
MMkgc

MMkgc

PostSubject: Re: A Question needs answered?   A Question needs answered? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 11:33 pm

Something else I came across in my research more on this word, is that it is used in incantations ( yes, witchcraft) and is combined with other words I won't mention here. Also I found a reference to it being used in Rastafarian ( reggae) songs, used in the sense that is most thought to mean in relationship to it being a musical notation of emphasis on the preceding words.

Anyway, since David wrote most of the Psalms, and he is the one connected with the tabernacle of truth, he may have left a clue to something here. Is this what you were hinting at on Shabbat? Smile
Back to top Go down
MMkgc

MMkgc

PostSubject: Tabernacle of David   A Question needs answered? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 11:41 pm

I found this very first one mentioned to be very interesting. Wink

Quote :
Isaiah 16:1-5 1 Send ye the lamb to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion.
2 For it shall be, that, as a wandering bird cast out of the nest, so the daughters of Moab shall be at the fords of Arnon.
3 Take counsel, execute judgment; make thy shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday; hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth. 4 Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.
5 And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.

Yochanon should jump in here Smile

Quote :
Revelation 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:..............6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days....................13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child. 14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. 15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood. 16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. 18

this is the next one:

Quote :
Amos 9:11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old: 12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.

Ancient Petra is in the same location as even more ancient Edom.

I will finnish this tommorow, it's getting late.

Shalom!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question needs answered?   A Question needs answered? Empty

Back to top Go down

A Question needs answered?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Beth Emet :: Torah Study :: Ne'viim - the Prophets-
Jump to: